Today I had a really great moment in clinic. I saw back one of the first patients I
operated on last October. He is an 84
year old man who came in with a gastric perforation. He had been hospitalized the month prior for
another illness and when he went home he told his sons he was sure if he ever
had to go to the hospital again he would die there. As we were wheeling him off to surgery, his
sons told me he had said good-bye to everyone in the village as he left and
told them he would not be coming home. Talk
about pressure to save a guy.
He did
great though. He flew through surgery
and the post-operative period without a hitch.
On the second day after surgery he was sitting up in bed and told me he
was going home. When his sons and I told
him he could not go yet, he told us if his sons would not take him home he
would just go catch the bus. He was in
the bed directly across from the entrance to the ward, so every day I was
greeted by him sitting up in bed, with his wide smile showing me how strong he
was by lifting his arms up in the air over his head. He has three sons and all of them are as
cheerful and energetic as their father.
They all stayed with him during his hospital stay, always laughing and
joking with him. You could tell they
really loved and respected him.
Today he came to clinic to get a refill on his blood pressure
medications. We give patients two months
of medications at a time. It is hard to
keep tract and remember all of the patients because we see so many, but as soon
as he walked in the door and flashed me that smile I knew who he was. I think he was surprised to still see me still
working here. He gave me a big
enthusiastic hand shake and then he told me that as soon as he sat down next to
me all of his troubles and pains went away.
What a line . . . as if it was taken right out of a movie. It was great to see that he was still doing
so well and I am honored that I was the one that was here who helped get him
home.
No comments:
Post a Comment