Between cases I like to sit in the Theatre break room and
talk with the staff. We talk about
everything and I enjoy getting their perspective on World events, religion,
politics, etc. The latest topic today
was about travel. They were making fun
of one of the staff who had not left Nalerigu in ten years! I was a bit shocked, since Nalerigu is maybe
just a few square miles in size. He said
everything he ever wanted or needed is here so why would he go somewhere else. Anyway, I posed the question, if they could
pick anywhere in the World to go where would they travel? They all said they did not know, but they did
know where they would NOT like to visit.
This was their list (in the order given) . . . Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Libya,
Syria, Canada, and Ukraine.
Canada??? I first made sure that
we were talking about the correct Canada (miscommunication is not uncommon),
USA’s neighbor to the North and they assured me we were talking about the same
place. I assumed they would not want to
travel there because of the cold and when I stated that fact they said NO. The cold would not bother them, but they
would not go to Canada because it is too unsafe!! I am not sure what news reports they are
hearing about Canada and I thought it was interesting that they basically placed
it in a list of all of the most unsafe countries in the World right now. I told them that for the last two summers I
have vacationed in Canada. I showed them
pictures of the cottage and Big Rideau Lake and they were unimpressed and said
I must have been very lucky to come home safe.
The nurse, in charge, could not believe that my father would let me
travel to Canada. He said he would need
to write him a letter and inform him that it is too unsafe for me to travel to
there again and if I needed a vacation in the summer I should just return to
Nalerigu. I could not break his heart
and tell him that I don’t think my father would agree with his assessment of the
travel plan! I could never really get
out of them what it was about Canada that made it unsafe, but I guess next time
I am up there I will have to be a bit more careful and maybe even lock the
cottage door.
No comments:
Post a Comment