I was asked to see this lady in the isolation ward for the
infection of her face. She states that
about 10 days ago, she experienced a brief pain in her right jaw. The pain resolved but then her eyes started
to swell. I have never seen anything
like this and I was happy that my friend, and current BMC surgeon Heidi Haun
and returned from her travels. because truth be told . . . eye balls and surgery around eye balls sort of freak me out! We are
not sure why this has occurred but she mostly likely had an infection in one of
her sinus that traveled to the skin around her eyes causing cellulitis,
abscess, and eventual necrosis of the skin.
The eye and surrounding structures are a complicated part
of the body and so we went to our handy little library so look up some anatomy
and check some textbooks. There is a
really useful book that is published for surgeons practicing in rural third
world areas. It was published a while
ago, but is still a great resource that I often use. It can sometimes be comical because it is
written in English but in the way Africans speak English and then also, even
though it is a medical textbook it will sometimes have funny opinions or
running commentaries in the chapters. At
the beginning of the section about the eye it all caps large print was written,
“DO NOT BE AFRAID OF SURGERY AROUND THE EYE SOCKET!!” Well knowing that information Heidi and I
felt right at home and were no longer worried tackling this unusual case!
No comments:
Post a Comment