I have arrived in Accra! The flight over was long and uncomfortable, so I am happy to be here. No matter how many times I arrive in country, what always surprises me is the heat that just hits you as soon as you walk off the plane. We de-board on the tarmac and walk to the terminal which I don't think helps the situation, but pretty much as soon as you are here you start sweating from places that you didn't know could sweat!!
I am staying the night at the Baptist Rest House, it is basically like a hostel for missionaries coming and going from the country. When I arrived the rest house was pretty quiet and looked like I would be the only guest. I was a bit disappointed because in the past I have enjoyed meeting other travelers who are involved in projects around the country and in the neighboring Togo and Cote d'Ivoire. Everyone knows everyone else in the Baptist missionary community. Since I started coming here on my own through a different organization, I don't know everyone, but constantly hear names and stories. It is nice when we would have a chance encounters in Accra, to place the face with the name.
I decided to take nap for a few hours while I was waiting for my friend William to arrive from South Africa. When I awoke a few hours later, a bit hot and sticky (because I didn't realize that I could run the AC for free here!), I was pleasantly surprised to see that another physician I know from Dallas was hanging out for a few hours prior to his flight out tonight. We have not seen each other in a few years so it was great to catch up. After William arrived, we all went down the road for some Chinese food because why wouldn't you want to eat Chinese food in Africa!
I am going to have an early night tonight, enjoying the AC in my room and will be picked up at 4:45 am, to head off to the airport for my flight to Tamale.

No comments:
Post a Comment