Ghana is
located in West Africa and has a population of about 27 million people. The capital, Accra, is located along the southern coast. The official language of Ghana is English,
but many still do not speak English and instead only speak their tribal
language. In the village where I work
the language is Mampruli. Ghana is this beautiful
and strange combination of old world tradition meets modern development. The cities are busy growing metropolitans
were you can find the latest and greatest, while just outside in the villages
people are still living in huts with mud floors.
Nalerigu is
in the Northern Region of the country and is one of the poorest areas. The Northern Region is mostly undeveloped and
is inhabited by people that live in small villages that are connected by a
network of small dirt roads and foot paths.
These people make their living farming small plots of land that have
been passed down through generations. Nalerigu is considered a bush village. It has hard to estimate the population but is probably about 1-2 thousand people.
The Baptist
Medical Centre (BMC) is a very well respected mission hospital that was founded
in 1958 by a general surgeon, Dr. George Faile.
It is currently a 123 bed hospital that serves the surrounding
population of about 600,000 people, as well as people that travel from as far
south as Accra and from neighboring countries like Burkina Faso and Mali to the
north and Togo and Nigeria to the East.
In a given year about 60,0000 people are seen in the outpatient clinic,
10,000 people are hospitalized, 1,200 major operations are performed and
2,500-3,000 minor procedures are performed! I am excited
to have the opportunity to return again to the BMC.
After being picked up at the airport, Heidi filled me in on the news of the hospital and also did a checkout of the patients. She and her family are heading today to Burkina Faso, the country to the North of Ghana, because her son has a passport issue that needs to be worked out. They do not know when they will be back so I will be holding down the fort. This week I have a variety of hernias scheduled, a mastectomy for breast cancer is on the books for tomorrow. A 5 year old boy, had an accident with a gun and shot off his middle and index finger. She completed the amputation of the middle finger and attempted to save the index finger. Right now it is not looking like it will survive, so that might have to be amputated this week. There are a variety of post-operative patients on the wards I will be looking after. After arriving at the BMC today, I basically threw my bags in a room and headed to the theatre and repaired three hernias!! I am happy that I don't have much of a problem with jetlag, but I am looking forward to a nice nights sleep tonight!

Glad to hear you have made it there safely! Sounds like you have been quite productive already! Such a wonderful thing that you are doing. Wishing you much success in treating each patient, and may they all heal quickly.
ReplyDeleteSuzy T.