Saturday, January 19, 2013

Case of the Week - Abdominal Mass

A 13 year old boy presented with an abdominal mass in his right abdomen.  The father stated that it had been there for many years and was getting bigger.  On ultrasound it was seen to be a cystic mass with some dense material inside.  I took him to surgery and found an easily resectable cystic mass.  The appendix was closely adhered to the mass so I did an appendectomy.  On exam after the case the appendix did not seem to communicate with the cyst itself and was distinct from the mass.  I sent a piece of the wall for pathology and it just returned a non-distinct inflammatory process.  The boy is healing well and will be going home today.

Ultrasound of mass
Resecting the mass

 The mass with the appendix associated (the S shaped structure on the top of the mass)

No comments:

Post a Comment