I am very blessed to have a washing machine, but driers take
too much energy and so I hang my clothes out to dry, which I have never
had to do before. I never thought that
there was a right or wrong way to hang clothes up, but the first time I hung laundry
out, two of my little friends, Thomas and Hamza, told me I was doing it all
wrong and they took it all down and re-hung it. I did not think it looked much different, but
they were please that they had taught me how to hang my clothes out.
At home, I was always forgetting to put my trash out on trash day or I would remembered late the night before and convinced myself I was too tired to walk the 100 yards to the garage to put it out for pick-up. I took it for granted that the trash man would just be coming the next week to whisk my trash away. In Nalerigu, taking out the trash has whole new meaning. I not only have to take out my own trash, but I have to dispose of it also by burning it in my trash hole in my back yard. Hint; the best way to burn trash is by putting it into a cardboard box, the box goes up in flames pretty quick and just incinerates everything inside of it, otherwise you sort of have to move stuff around and try to get all of the pieces of trash to catch fire and it takes forever. I am constantly on the lookout for used boxes to burn.
At home, I was always forgetting to put my trash out on trash day or I would remembered late the night before and convinced myself I was too tired to walk the 100 yards to the garage to put it out for pick-up. I took it for granted that the trash man would just be coming the next week to whisk my trash away. In Nalerigu, taking out the trash has whole new meaning. I not only have to take out my own trash, but I have to dispose of it also by burning it in my trash hole in my back yard. Hint; the best way to burn trash is by putting it into a cardboard box, the box goes up in flames pretty quick and just incinerates everything inside of it, otherwise you sort of have to move stuff around and try to get all of the pieces of trash to catch fire and it takes forever. I am constantly on the lookout for used boxes to burn.
| Burning trash with Thomas |
Food preparation is another thing that just takes a bit
longer here. Here I only drink water
from a special water filter, but it does not really run like a normal faucet,
so whenever I am home, I turn on the water filter and let it collect in a huge
pan, which I then pour into a water cooler.
A few nights ago, I got up in the middle of the night thirsty and just
wondered into the kitchen and got a glass and filled it with tap water. It wasn’t until I pretty much downed the
entire glass that I woke up enough to realize what I had just done. That is defiantly a mistake I will be paying
for in a day or two. Here, you cannot
just simply clean vegetables and fruits with soap and water. It does not kill the bacteria, so I soak
everything I will be eating raw in bleach water. If it is going to be cooked it does not have
to be soaked. Different things need to
soak for different amounts of time, but mostly it is about 20 minutes in bleach
water and then I rinse them off with the filtered water. Eggs also have to be soaked in bleach, but
before I soak them I get the added pleasure of cleaning off the chicken poop on
the eggs. We basically buy everything
straight from the farmers in market.
One of thing I am very grateful for is having someone to
clean for me. The windows are different here.
They are made in a way so air can always flow into the houses, but with
that air come the dust and the dirt. You
have to clean the floors almost every day.
I could never keep up with that myself so I hired a girl from town,
Rachel, who cleans three times a week.
She is a great help.
No comments:
Post a Comment