We are in the middle of the hot dry season and hot and dry
is an understatement. It is amazing how
the campus has transformed since I arrived.
All of the green has disappeared as everything has died. In the heat of the day it is around 115
degrees and it cools down to the low 90’s at night. For me the OR is the best place to be because
it has air conditioning. I know that
many places in America can boast high temperatures, but not stifling heat day
after day, and in America you can go from your air conditioned home, to your
car, to air conditioned work, etc, and never really notice the heat. The worst part of the day for me is trying to
sleep. I received some friendly advice
to get all of my clothes wet before I go to sleep. It is amazing, but with a fan blowing, I actually
get a bit chilled and am able to fall asleep.
I usually wake up around three or four in a puddle of sweat and just get
up and wet everything down again.
 |
| The way campus looked when I first arrived |
 |
| Dry season on campus . . . looking at this pictures just makes me feel hot! |
The hot dry season comes after the end of the Harmattan here
in Ghana. The Harmattan is a dry dusty
trade wind that blows south from the Sahara desert across West Africa into the
Gulf of Guinea. It starts in late
November and goes through early March. On
its way over the Sahara it picks up fine dust particles, which it will carry
across the land. The dust was very mild
this year, but I am told that sometimes the heavy amount of dust in the air
will block out the sun and you will not be able to see a few feet in front of
you. The best part about the Harmattan
is that with the wind comes cool temperatures into the 70’s. On some mornings I would wear long sleeves and
at night I would sleep with a blanket, but for the most part the missionaries
are finally comfortable. On the other
hand the Ghanaians are bundling up. They are
in long pants, heavy winter coats, hats, gloves, and scarves. It is quite the sight. We showed a movie about Jesus out in a
village one night and we were all in shorts and tee-shirts and the Ghanaians
were huddled up next to each other under blankets for warmth. I guess it is all what you are used to.
During the Harmattan is the coolest part of the year here in
Ghana, but the next coolest is when the rains come after the hot dry
season. And that is what we are all
anxiously awaiting now!
No comments:
Post a Comment